Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My awesome scrap yarn tree

I've mentioned my thing about throwing away scrap yarn.  I don't know what my problem is.

And here's another problem I have:  I don't particularly love my apartment.  It's a tiny Manhattan apartment, and I have a crapload of crap loaded into it.  And three meowing furballs covering everything with cat hair.  Also, I don't like doing dishes. So there's that.  And I already explained my thing about not throwing away tiny balls of yarn.  So just close your eyes and imagine my apartment.  That's it exactly.

I grew up in the country, and I get claustrophobic easily in my tiny, messy apartment.  And you know I am always on the hunt for a new craft project.

So, when I started hearing rumblings on the 'ol intertubes about making BEAUTIFUL TREE MURALS OUT OF SCRAP YARN !!!!, you know I was all over that.

All it entails is Googling an image of a tree you like, getting a buncha thumbtacks and an array of scrap yarn.  Then you basically work slowly to plot out an outline of the tree's silhouette with the tacks on your wall.  Once you're happy with the outline (and you can be preeeettty generous with filling in the tacks), you can begin the fun part:  wrapping your scraps of yarn around your tacks to create the color of your tree.




I wish I could give you a better look at my tree, but my tiny apartment comes equipped with an ass-narrow hallway.  But at least now it's a pretty good lookin' ass-narrow hallway.

PS - Why, yes that is a 4-tiered hallway-long wall of CDs.  So, you know, if you ever need to borrow the Monkees' Greatest Hits or Nevermind, just give me a shout.

No comments:

Post a Comment