Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cozy knitted pants and body issues

I don't remember where I first got the notion of making knitted pants, but once I did, I just couldn't shake it.  I got consumed with the idea and imagined how delightful it could be to prance around in soft wooly pants that I made with my own little sticks.    That's right, prance.

I started hunting the internet for free patterns for knitted pants, but I couldn't find any.  Lots of links to BUY expensive knitted pants, but that misses the point.  I need to MAKE MAKE MAKE my knitted pants to truly enjoy them.

Finally, I found a seller on Etsy who had a vintage pattern (it looks like it's from the 60's, but I couldn't swear to that).  The sizing was weird (in case you didn't know, our standard sizes have changed quite a bit from then to now) and the needle gauges were off (knitting needle sizes have also changed since then), but after checking some conversions and doing some math, I sorted it out.

I bought some deliciously chocolate cashmere yarn and set myself to the task.  And these pants are glorious.  And I love them even more because I made them.  And I want to show them to the world!

However.

I feel compelled to tell you that I nearly cropped this photo because I wanted to hide my chubby thighs and little potbelly.  Like nearly every red-blooded American woman, I have some real body issues.

But, you know what?  I thought to myself, "Fuck it.  I have to look at these suckers every damn day and my chubby legs get me everywhere I need to go and my little potbelly holds all the delicious food I eat.  I love my jiggly little body."  

So, behold my snuggly knitted pants!  AND my slightly imperfect body!  Hooray!




No comments:

Post a Comment