Thursday, August 23, 2012

Beep-Boop-Bop. Robots.

A couple of years ago, I got really interested in the idea of knitted robots.  I scoured the intertubes for robot patterns, but none that I found met my satisfaction.  I had a very specific idea of what I wanted:  something like this or this.  

Since I couldn't find something that met my specifications, I started noodling around with making my own patterns.  My first attempt was a felted (of course) robot.  


I'll be honest.  I think it came out okay, but this might be the first time in the history of my knitting life that I think that the felting did more damage than good.  Don't get me wrong, he's a nice robot-man, but the felting added personality that wasn't in my plan.  For example, his rectangle mouth box was transformed into a smile.  His ear antennae shrunk unevenly.  But overall, for a prototype, he's not too shabby.  These days he's keeping my friend the Shocktopus company.


My second attempt at a red robot man turned out better, I think.  Clean, sharp boxy lines.  Nice and robotty.  I had this idea that his "hands" would be claws - something like those metal claws in the stuffed animal vending machine games.  But, they turned out looking more like thumbs up fists.  So, I dubbed this guy Positive Reinforcement Robot.  No matter what's going on, he's all like, "Good job, buddy!  Keep trying your best!"

He lives with a handsome little dude in Portland named Dashiell.

No comments:

Post a Comment