Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Plants need knits, too.

I love growing stuff.  When I was a kid, growing up in a small town, my mom had a vegetable garden behind our house.  When I moved away, and as I've moved to bigger and bigger cities, my need to cultivate greenery and produce has gotten stronger and stronger.

Last summer I had a fire escape garden.  But I got busted by the fire marshall, so it looks like my dream of being an urban farmer has stalled for a while.  So, I've been compensating by growing all kinds of plants indoors.

In fact, they were beginning to cover all the (very limited amount of) free space in my apartment.  So, I began thinking like a real New Yorker when it comes to organizing my space:  UP.

Enter hanging plant holders.

But I'm a knitter, so you know I'm not gonna just go buy one.  What's the fun in that?  Behold, my beautiful new felted plant holder.




I based it off of this one, but I made some modifications in the size of the various holders, and I did knitted I-cords instead of crocheted cords.

It's rare that I knit things for my own use, but I'm so glad I did this.  I'm in love with it.  I imagine in a few weeks, I might be living in a jungle if I don't find another project to occupy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment